Introduction to Data Analysis with the tidyverse (English)
09.01.2019 um 9:00 bis 10.01.2019 um 16:30
The course offers an introduction to the tidyverse, a set of modern, coherent tools to solve most day-to-day data processing, visualisation, and reporting tasks in R.
Prior experience with data processing or visualization (with tools like Excel, databases, Tableau, Power BI, SAS, Stata, SPSS, FME, R) is highly recommended. Prior experience with R is not necessary, but even seasoned R users will benefit from the course. (The focus is on the tidyverse as a data analysis platform, not on R as a programming language.)
Teaching language: English.
- Introduction to the RStudio IDE
- Visualization with ggplot2
- Data manipulation with dplyr and tidyr
- Basic operations
- Processing groups
- Pivoting and cleaning
- Reporting and presentations with knitr + rmarkdown
- Data import and export
- “Bring your own data”: Start using the tools you’ve learned on your own datasets
Guided use of the new tools using a datasets from your daily work
Participants should bring their own laptops with the following software installed:
- A modern browser in a recent version (Firefox or Google Chrome recommended)
- A WiFi internet connection
- The most recent version of R (3.5.1 at the time of writing)
- Run the following command in R to install the required packages: install.packages(c(„tidyverse“, „feather“, „gapminder“, „leaflet“, „mgcv“, „nycflights13“, „plotly“, „shiny“, „splines“, „here“, „xaringan“, „rticles“))
- The most recent version of RStudio (1.1.456 at the time of writing)
In case of software problems, an rstudio.cloud project is available, in which will have R and all packages preinstalled and which can be accessed from a browser. So make sure that your laptop can access free WIFI networks.
The course price already includes lunch, coffee breaks, drinks, and course material.
Each participant receives a certificate of participation with the LMU seal.
Some of our courses take place at the Leopoldstrasse 30. For these courses we ask you to bring your own laptop with a current version of the free software R (https://cran.r-project.org) and RStudio (https://www.rstudio.com/products/rstudio/download/). If you do not have administration rights on your laptop (often the case in company laptops), you should also make sure that you can install R add-on packages on your laptop as well. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.
More details can be found on the registration page.
We will provide Internet access for all participants via BayernWLAN.